Type: Full Time
Deadline: 24-May-18 00:00:00
Lydian Armenia is seeking an experienced and qualified chemist to fill the position of Chief Chemist at Lydian's Amulsar Process Plant Laboratory. Lydian Armenia is seeking a Chief Chemist with extensive industrial and preferably mining industry experience in the gold sector. The Chief Chemist will manage a workforce comprising two graduate chemists and a four panel shift roster of lab technicians. The position reports to the Process Manager.
The Process Plant will treat approximately 10 million tonnes per ore per year from the Mine. Facilities include a crushing and screening plant, a 5km downhill overland conveyor, an ore transfer station, a heap leach pad and a gold processing plant.
An on-site Analytical Laboratory is currently being built and is expected to commissioned not later than the beginning of Quarter 4, 2018. The laboratory will process all drill and blast samples from the Mine, all solid and liquid samples from the Process Plant, and also raw materials and final product samples, such as lime and gold bullion.
The new Laboratory is located at the ADR Plant near the Heap Leach Pad. It comprises the ground floor and first floor of the ADR Building Annex.The Laboratory will process approximately 200 samples per day.The ground floor is dedicated to Sample Preparation and Fire Assay, whilst the first floor is dedicated to wet chemistry and instrumental analysis.
The laboratory is equipped and the Chief Chemist will work with the following main items of equipment – drying ovens, crushers, mills, fire assay furnaces, analytical and micro balances, Agilent AAS, Eltra Sulphur analyser, centrifuge, fume hoods and scrubbers, as well as a dust extraction plant
- Safely manage and maintain the laboratory facilities, equipment and services;
- Supervise sample preparation, fire assay, and analytical laboratory;
- Develop analytical methods;
- Coordinate laboratory personnel training;
- Report analytical results and manage LIMS system, once implemented;
- Set-up and manage a laboratory QA/QC system, compliant with the requirements of ISO 17025:2015;
- Manage gold security and accounting.
- Committed attitude to safety management and a willingness to learn and apply the latest safety practices relevant to Gold Analysis;
- Honours or master's degree in Chemistry;
- At least 10 years supervisory experience in an industrial or mining laboratory;
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS);
- Prior experience using Atomic Absorption spectroscopy, as well as Sulphur determination by combustion methods;
- Exposure to fire assay would be an advantage, but is not a pre-requisite;
- Driving license.